Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oil Trap/Crankcase Breather




These photos were taken after the 2nd coat of POR Engine enamel. Toward the left edge of the oil trap you can see where the paint sagged, being thicker, the sag has a fully developed color, which of course highlights the regions that do not. Switching to a better brush allowed me to get more consistent, but thinner coats of paint.  The first coat on this parts was made with a cheap disposable brush that resulted in thicker but uneven coats prone to drips and sags. No more cheap brushes, except for the POR-15 (requires lacquer thinner vs. just paint thinner).  I guess I should give this a 3rd coat, but again, I'm not sure how visible this part will be, and from two feet away without strong lights it looks great; it wants to avoid the limelight I guess. I'm going to put this in the done pile, maybe when the paint is out again for the engine I will give it a third coat....

No comments:

Post a Comment