Volvo P1800 (1970) Lucas 9H hornsThe horns and their bracket suffered from surface rust, and at the very least needed to be repainted. Interestingly, only the top half of the horns rusted. It appears that the bottom and top of each horn are made from different metals, the top portion being steel. The bottoms must be pot metal (anyone? )or just have a much stronger plating that remained intact.
|In situ, before removal. Note, the rust is only on the top casting of each horn.|
|Top of the upper horn marked "L"( inside the horn), also stamped 69211B on the top, Lucas 9H on the bottom. The lower horn is marked "H" in the bell and 69205B on the top.|
I used sandpaper was used to clean up the flat or gently curving areas; a Dremel tool was able to get into more complex portions. A dark grey primer and flat black paint finished up the job. The bracket definitely had a flat finish, the horns themselves may have been more of satin, oh well. Before doing all this, it would have been wise to test the horns... You can see what's coming next....
|Using a hand drill to drill out the old rivets. Use of the hand drill was easier than getting out an electric drill and should lower the carbon footprint of the project.|
As is ends up, one horn was fine, but the other would not sound. To make things more complex, the horns are riveted together. The rivets were relatively soft and where easily drilled out with my wife's help, she held them on the coffee table while I drilled with an eggbeater hand drill. More caution should have been used pushing out the rivets after the tops were drilled out, I bent one of the flanges over the bell. At least I was able to pound it back into shape for the most part...
|New gasket and role of gasket material from NAPA.|
|The solenoid side of the horn.|
Once opened, the contacts could be cleaned with doubled over sandpaper. The contacts were slightly misaligned, but I did not try to bend the spring steel back for fear of breaking the whole thing.
|Bell side of the horn.|
|Horn components showing proper orientation and order of assembly.|
|As per my mechanics suggestion, I used a VERY light coating of Ultra Black gasket RTV to coat both the old gasket and the bell side flange.|