Friday, July 16, 2010

The first parts to be cleaned up...

Ok, so the car sat for a few years in my garage after I found out the engine needed to be rebuilt. I have to admit, that really took the wind out of my sails. I did not really have the money just to have it done, I didn't really have much of a clue as to how to even go about it. Nothing has changed, but I am going to work on it anyway. I realized that even if I could snap my fingers and a new engine showed up, all the other parts still need to be cleaned up and fixed. I have most the parts taken out of the engine compartment in labeled bags, so there is no problem with lost parts etc. The first parts I picked were the battery hold down and fan pulley, all with major oxidation issues....


Here is the pulley, I brushed it off and let it soak in POR metal-ready, then I tried metal polish... that didn't do much so I used the buffer on my bench grinder. I think it looks good, there was more rust on the inside and in the groove, but for the most part the original coating is still present. I used some car wax on it hoping that the wax will provide some protection. I guess the question is, given that much of the coating is still present, will this part stay ok without being painted?



















Note the pitting in the groove, its not too rough, but I wonder if it will kill the belt?








The battery hold down was way rustier. This is going to need paint. Some of the pitting is fairly deep and I doubt it would be worth sanding totally smooth...? At least paint would provide some rust protection. I assume that these parts were zinc coated? I'm guessing Eastwood "Clear Zinc" might be the best??

1 comment:

  1. I doubt the rust in the belt groove will cause an issue. It looks minimal and the new belt will likely continue to polish the groove. Nice job cleaning up!

    ReplyDelete